During certain local or regional emergencies, a need to temporarily shelter residents may occur. Public Safety Officials, including the Rochester Fire Department, Police Department, Emergency Management Agency, and the Board of Health have prepared a local sheltering plan to help address these needs, should they arise. Activation of shelter operation will be determined by the Public Safety Officials.
The plan is designed to be flexible and modular to accommodate the needs of residents based on the situation at hand. Shelter operations will be managed by Rochester Public Safety Officials. Assistance may be provided from other local, regional, state, and Federal resources, as needed.
Residents should bring the following items with them to the shelter:
- Chargers for electronic devices
- Critical phone numbers
- Personal cell phone
- Smoking/vaping materials
- Matches/lighters (oxygen may be in use and is highly flammable!)
- Recreational medication
- Food will be available, based on what is on hand. If you have specific dietary needs, plan accordingly.
- Due to health concerns and limited space, pets are not accepted by the shelter.
- Medications are not provided by the shelter.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for keeping track of and controlling the actions of their children at all times. Children must be attended to by a parent or guardian at all times.
- There are many jobs that do not require any special skills or training. Please let us know if you would like to lend a hand!
- Know-Plan-Prepare Checklist (Fillable PDF)
Please contact us with any questions.